Bayreuth, house Wahnfried. - The entrance area of the building, established 1872-1874 according to Wagner's ideas at the edge of the Bayreuther Hofgarten. The composer lived here with his family from 1874 until his death, but also spent a lot of time in Italy because of the milder climate there. The acquisition of the land and the construction of the house were largely financed by King Ludwig II of Bavaria (1845-1886), whose youthful bust stands in front of the villa. After his death in Venice, Wagner was transferred to Bayreuth and buried in a crypt in the garden.
Hand-colored etching by Herta Czoernig-Gobanz (1886-1970), estate signed. Plate size 22,5 x 18 cm (8¾ x 7 in), sheet size 35 x 29 cm (13¾ x 11½ in).
Order no. 1200-792
Please click images to enlarge.
Tel. +43 1 512 54 66
Shipping prices on request.
Our Terms & Conditions apply.